Diversity and inclusion
The UK Young Academy is committed to creating an inclusive, equal and accessible environment for all and recognises that finding solutions to societal and global challenges requires contributions from different people with different life experiences.
The organisational structure and activities of the UK Young Academy aim to demonstrate a proactive approach to promoting and maintaining inclusiveness for its members and the people it is engaged with, in line with the Guiding Principles of Young Academies.
Applications for membership
The UK Young Academy will do everything it can to promote and encourage diversity during the application process for new members. This includes looking at ways to attract a higher percentage of applications from underrepresented groups and regularly reviewing and revising its promotional materials and processes to ensure that all applicants have an equal chance to succeed.
All selection committee members are given a briefing on unconscious bias in decision making to aim to address potential biases which can arise when making judgements on membership.
Under-represented groups are particularly encouraged to apply for membership.
This website has been designed to be accessible.
- Material relating to the application process or UK Young Academy’s activities is available in larger font size, in Braille and in different colour contrasts.
- Additional time is available for video submissions and interviews.
- Venues will be accessible for wheelchair users and advance visits can be arranged to test equipment or room layouts and acoustics.
- Online meetings have closed captioning available.
- Arrangements can be made for sign language interpretation at events on request.
This is not an exhaustive list and if a reasonable adjustment you require is not included, please contact email@example.com to discuss your needs.
Travel and accommodation costs will be supported to facilitate participation in UK Young Academy activities for all members and additional support is also available to help cover the costs of childcare.